What is Turmeric?
If you have ever had an Indian or Chinese curry dish, you have most likely had turmeric. Turmeric is the yellow spice that most of us associate with curry. Curcumin is the ingredient in turmeric that contains bioactive compounds that provide the healing properties.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
• Increases antioxidant capacity- providing protection from free radicals
• Improves brain function and lowers risk of brain disease
• Fights cancer
• Provides arthritis relief
• Fights depression
• Aids in digestion
• It stimulates the gallbladder and releases bile
• It promotes intestinal flora and relieves gas build-up
• It increases gastric wall mucus and guards against gastric ulcers
Turmeric is not the only beneficial ingredient or aspect in the miraculous recipe we are about to share with you. Carbonation is known to have calming digestive effects, especially for nausea, but the lemons and lime also add flavor and refreshment, and their own digestive attributes.
Digestive Benefits of Lemons and Limes
• Break down the macromolecules in food
• The flavonoids or essential oils increase digestive juices
• The acids ease constipation by clearing the excretory system
The ingredients in this magical drink provide a synergy that will promote healthy digestion and an improvement in your overall health.
Miracle Turmeric Lime Soda Recipe
• One cup unpeeled and sliced turmeric
• ¾ cup raw honey
• Two organic lemons and/or limes
• 6 cups water
• Add turmeric to water in a large saucepan and heat to boiling
• Continue boiling for 20 minutes- the water should be yellow
• Simmer 15-20 minutes
• Remove from heat and let cool
• Add the zest and juice of the lemons and limes
• Transfer to a large mason jar
• Seal and leave closed – 3 days in warm weather- 5 days in cooler weather
• Stir occasionally
• Strain liquid into bottles
• Allow to carbonate for three days
• Wait a week before consuming to avoid vinegar taste
Enjoy the digestive and other health benefits of your delicious tonic!
Side effects and contraindications of turmeric:
You would have to drink an incredible amount of this tonic or eat a ton of curry to suffer any adverse side-effects of turmeric. In normal doses, it is usually completely safe. If you are taking turmeric supplements additionally, you will want to be aware of these possible side-effects:
• Decrease in iron absorption
• Fertility concerns
• Problems with blood clotting- if you have surgery scheduled this is particularly important
Regarding contraindications, if you are on medication for blood-clotting or blood-thinning you should check with your doctor or healthcare professional about your turmeric consumption.
Additionally, pregnant and lactating women are generally advised not to take herbal supplements. Turmeric specifically stimulates the uterus and may cause a miscarriage. Eating a meal with curry or having a glass of tonic or a cup of tea is considered safe, but do not take supplements. And, again, if you have any concerns or questions you should always check with your doctor.
Make a batch today and let this Miracle Turmeric Lime Soda work its magic on you!